[cvsnt-dev] Re: Feature Request: warnings on edit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jun 29 12:40:17 BST 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:04:50 +0200, "Christian Schmidt"
<christian2.schmidtREMOVE_THIS at gmx.de> wrote:

>But if everyone wants to work with reserved edits and someone forgets to
>call update before edit you might end up in a conflict.

.. which CVS is well equipped to handle, in most cases.

Remember reserved edit is just a hack.  It's not really a true
reserved edit and probably never will be.

>BTW I think edit on tagged or not up-to-date files _is_ an error - or at
>least it's an action that the user should be warned of.

Not really - you can have multiple editors of the same file.  Edit
doesn't change the state, it just states that you are interested in
that file at the moment.  10 people could be editing the same file
with no problems... a lot of the time they'll be using out of date
copies.

The -c hack just limits that to one at a time, it doesn't change the
semantics.  You're just stating that you're interested in the file at
the moment - nothing more.

>Why? We use this feature sometimes to temporarily prevent users from
>modifing certain directories.

chacl would be quicker, or just set the permissions on the directories
(trusting the users is even better...).  edit does not prevent users
from doing anything if they really want to.  If they're using a client
that doesn't support commit -c it'll just go ahead anyway.

>But you can't edit a tagged version of the file. At least you can't commit
>changes to a tagged file, so consequently you shouldn't be allowed to edit
>it.

You could do the edit, then update -A, then commit.  The edit is still
valid after the update.