[cvsnt-dev] Re: Custom Keywords?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue May 11 15:37:12 BST 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:26:36 -0400, "Chuck Kirschman"
<Chuck.Kirschman at bentley.com> wrote:

>I'd like to add my own keyword for CVS which contains text specific to
>my projects.  I've done this for a few revisions by modifying rcs.c to
>hard-code in what I need.  However, this gets tiresome over time, so I'd
>like to add a generalized mechanism to handle customized keywords and
>get it into the builds.  But I don't want to waste anyone's time with
>something that won't be added to the product.  So my questions:  Is
>whether this is worth doing for others, or is it just a complexity that
>no one wants?  If the former, is anyone else is pursuing this route?
>And finally, what is the preferred extension mechanism for CvsNT (still
>calling scripts?), and can you point me to an example in the source of
>where it's called?

The scripts are called by Parse_Info, but there's a fair bit of
setting up to do... each script has a slightly different setup.  Have
a look at how the existing ones work.

You have to be careful of scaleability with a scheme like that - eg.
you definately don't want to call the script for every single file.
I'd imagine though once per checkout would be enough.