[cvsnt-dev] Re: Reboot on NT4/2K/XP/2k3?

Robin McLeod sorry at no.spam.org
Fri Dec 16 16:59:20 UTC 2005

Thanks Tony,

As you're probably aware, modifying the path on NT/2k/XP/2k3 should be done
by setting the value of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment\PATH

However, you can avoid a reboot by sending a WM_SETTINGCHANGE notification,
e.g.
SendMessageTimeout(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SETTINGCHANGE, 0,
(LPARAM)"Environment", SMTO_ABORTIFHUNG, 5000, &retval);

More elaborate applications will make use of this notification to update
themselves and don't even need to be restarted (unfortunately, cmd.exe is
not one of them).

As for LSASRV.DLL, I used handle from www.sysinternals.com to check on it
and it's not in use when cvsnt isn't running so a reboot shouldn't be
required to replace it on most systems (just stop the cvsnt services before
copying the files during upgrades).

As for MSI rebooting for no reason, that's entirely possible as I don't use
it but it certainly isn't acceptable behaviour to force a reboot
just-in-case.

If you want to discuss this further or need extra clarification or even a
helping hand, let me know and I'll contact you via e-mail.

Cheers,

Rob

news:dnupkh$mur$1 at paris.nodomain.org...