[cvsnt-dev] Where to go forward with the main list.

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Jul 23 02:53:01 UTC 2006

Hi peeps,

Yesterday this mailserver processed 8,050 emails, and rejected 7,289 as
obvious spam before filtering (bogus sender/recipient, known spam source,
etc.).  Of those that passed the sanity checks, 223 were found to be spam.. so
over 93% of the email the server gets is spam.

Even with the multiple layers of filtering on the server too much is getting
through, and I don't want to be responsible for redistributing this over the
mailing list, so something is going to have to change.

So my options are, as I see it:

1. Go to member only posting, but approve nonmember posts... not keen on that
one as I don't want a manual solution.
2. Go to member only posting, and bounce nonmember posts... this will stop
people posting and defeats the point of a support list IMO.
3. Kill the email list entirely and rely on the newsgroups - currently my
preferred solution.

Any others that anyone can think of?  Shooting spammers in the head is an
attractive option but illegal in most countries...