[cvsnt-dev] Re: Where to go forward with the main list.

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jul 23 22:12:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 03:53:01 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>So my options are, as I see it:
>
>1. Go to member only posting, but approve nonmember posts... not keen on that
>one as I don't want a manual solution.

>2. Go to member only posting, and bounce nonmember posts... this will stop
>people posting and defeats the point of a support list IMO.

>3. Kill the email list entirely and rely on the newsgroups - currently my
>preferred solution.

I'm all for the newsserver option 3.
I have only one place where I still have mail delivery enabled and
that is at my day work where the IT department has blocked the NNTP
port entirely in the corporate firewall. *Everything* except port 80
is blocked....
But I can live with waiting until I get home at night to read the
stuff and do some posting. And if you supply a web based NNTP
read-only interface I could even *read* the messages during the day...

But in all my other PC:s I only use the newsserver (and I have done
for 5 years or so). Best way to handle the messages in my view.

If option 3 is not going to happen then option 2 gets my vote. If
people cannot bother to subscribe then they have no reason to use the
list anyway.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)