[cvsnt-dev] Unicode file names

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Jul 29 00:58:59 BST 2006

Torsten Martinsen wrote:
> I remember reading at some point that CVSNT supports arbitrary file
> names, including Japanese etc. But how is this implemented? Can I pass
> the filename in UTF-8 encoding?

If you start the process using unicode APIs (CreateProcessW etc.) then cvsnt
gets the filenames as unicode.  If you also pass --utf8 then it switches the
client into utf8 so it's able to store arbitrary unicode characters (I guess
you could just pass the command line as UTF8 but I'm not sure how the shell
would interpret it since it's expecting ANSI).

If you do that all the sandboxes with non-ASCII characters in their filenames
will need an update and probably a re-checkout, since the entries files get
written and parsed as UTF8.

Of course all the usual codepage issues apply.. the filenames you can store
are dependent on the server ultimately.