[cvsnt-dev] Unicode file names

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Jul 30 20:57:33 BST 2006

Torsten Martinsen wrote:

> So I can start CVS and specify a filename using a wchar_t string. But
> how about the -F option, used by the cvsgui protocol? From looking at
> the code, it looks as if that expects ANSI filenames only.

By that time it's already parsed everything into its native codeset, so
the file would have to be already in UTF8.

Basically passing everyting as unicode lets cvsnt decide what it gets
converted into.. by default it uses the ANSI codepage (essentially
mimicing the behaviour of an ANSI application), but --utf8 overrides that.

> This is only if I specify --utf8, not if I just start CVS using
> CreateProcessW(), right?

If you just use CreateProcessW on its own it'll behave exactly the same
as if you used CreateProcessA but there's one less conversion (since the
OS isn't doing the ANSI->Unicode step).