[cvsnt-dev] Lock retry interval and retry count

Bill Nelson Bill_Nelson at rogers.com
Sun Jun 18 14:41:13 UTC 2006

Hey Tony,
I noticed that lock.cpp do_lock_server() has a hardcoded sleep time of 1
second and hardcoded retry count of 20, which means that any command will
only wait at most 20 seconds when trying to grab a lock.
We have a few very large (100MB to 150MB) files in our repository and
checking these files in or out can take upto 7 or 8 minutes.  If someone is
attempting to do an rtag at the same time as anyone else is working with
those files, the rtag aborts because it can't grab the lock.
I know that older versions used a 15 second retry interval and a very large
retry count, which worked well in our case.
I can change the code myself and build myself, but this seems like it will
affect a lot of people.
I'm going to set my copy to sleep(10) and have a maximum retry count of 200.
Ideally this would be some kind of configuration option instead of
hardcoded.

Any thoughts around changing this for an upcoming release?

Thanks,
Bill.