[cvsnt-dev] Re: badly formatted email from email_trigger

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Tue May 30 22:50:28 UTC 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> David Somers wrote:
>>
>> BTW, there is normally a space between the : and the < in the RCPT TO:
>> <blah...> and MAIL TO: <blah...> so maybe your server was getting
>> confused because you didn't have one.
>>
>> If all else fails, a config option for this sounds good.
>>

> Hmm.. the RFC has no space.

Eeks. It does. (Its been ages since I read it.)

BTW, a lot of examples I've seen elsewhere have a space in there (e.g.
O'Reilly's Programming Internet Email!)

> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt
>
> It also says that the <> is mandatory although I've never seen it until
> you mentioned it...

I think a lot of MTAs try to cope with or without it... just my like I'm
running courier-mta which is very anal when it comes to following the specs
and rejecting non-compliant messages (although a lot of spam bots send
badly formed messages so it quite happily rejects those even before my
spamfilters see them).

David.