[cvsnt-dev] Solaris x86

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Wed Nov 29 15:20:21 GMT 2006

Brian Hicks wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:28:54 -0500, David Somers <dsomers at omz13.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Nobody here is a mindreader (or are they?), so do tell what the error is?
>
> After disabling MDNS as below, the error is this:
>
> /bin/bash ../libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2   -L/usr/sfw/lib -lrt -o
> libcvsapi.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -release  -L//usr/local/lib Codepage.lo
> cvs_string.lo DiffBase.lo  StringDiff.lo GetOptions.lo md5calc.lo mdns.lo
> rpcBase.lo  ServerIO.lo SqlConnection.lo SqlRecordset.lo SqlVariant.lo
> TagDate.lo TokenLine.lo XmlApi.lo Zeroconf.lo fncmp.lo  fnmatch.lo
> getdate.lo getmode.lo md5.lo timegm.lo  DirectoryAccess.lo DnsApi.lo
> FileAccess.lo HttpSocket.lo  LibraryAccess.lo RunFile.lo SocketIO.lo
> SSPIHandler.lo -lexpat   ../libltdl/libltdlc.la -lnsl -lresolv -lsocket
> libtool: link: `/usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.la' is not a valid libtool archive

So libtool is bitchin' that /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.la is bad... did you
upgrade your compiler without upgrading/recompiling its support libraries?

> I notice a mdns.lo in there, and I'm guessing that's the problem. If I
> disable mdns, why is a library for it still being linked? Then again,
> maybe this error means something else. I'm not that great at C...

Probably because something hasn't been excluded so its getting pulled in
when it shouldn't.

>> Quick and dirty: don't bother with mDNS (unless you really really need to
>> use it - I've had a lot of problems getting it to work and in the end I
>> hacked xinetd to do the mDNS stuff rather than CVSNT - which means mDNS
>> is
>> available for all my xinetd run services)... ./configure --disable-mdns
>
>> Try latest testing rather than latest commercial too...
>
> Bah, there is a sparc package. It should work.

There have been some changes made to the build files, and those changes are
in the latest testing... backporting fixes to latest commercial doesn't
happen, so that's why its always a good idea to check latest testing to see
if things that were broke have been fixed.

> I think the main issue is the build environment. I'm trying to build using
> the tools in /usr/sfw (although I tried the Sun Studio 11 compiler as
> well, without success). Maybe some required libraries are missing? I've
> disabled everything in the config that I won't need (hfs, postgresql,
> mysql, etc.).

Those other libraries shouldn't get pulled in if they aren't installed...
you only need to exclude them when they are on your system and you want to
explicitly exclude them.

> Under Linux, cvsnt builds without much effort. That's why I was asking
> what the build environment is like for building the sparc package. Are
> they using the stuff in /usr/sfw, or blastwave's tools, or
> sunfreeware.org, or the Sun Studio? Something else?

Tony/Arthur... care to comment on how you build on sparc?

> The typical "./configure && make && make install" won't work on Solaris.

Hmmmmmm.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever