[cvsnt-dev] NTLMSSP auth with empty domain part fails

Andreas Tscharner andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch
Mon Oct 23 09:27:32 BST 2006

Hello World,

A Debian user has found a bug in CVSNT 2.5.03 build 2382. He has
provided a patch. Here is his description and the patch.

Best regards
	Andreas

--- BEGIN MESSAGE ---
NTLMSSP authentication against a Windows cvsnt server fails.

I have an older, hacked cvsnt version which works, and by comparing
tcpdumps I found out that the pointer field of the second
string (domain/workstation) of the type 1 NTLM message
built by buildSmbNtlmAuthRequest() points past the end
of the message when the domain argument is an empty string.
The server then immediately rejects the auth request
with a "[80090308] The parameter is incorrect." reply.

The attached patch fixes this, and makes NTLM auth work for me.

(The older cvsnt version I have set the offset field
to some totally bogus value when the string length is
zero, thus I believe the offset value doesn't matter
at all in this case, as long as it doesn't point past
the end of the packet.)

Thanks,
Johannes
--- END MESSAGE ---

Andreas Tscharner                          andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch
And the beast shall come forth surrounded by a roiling cloud of
vengeance. The house of the unbelievers shall be razed and they shall be
scorched to the earth. Their tags shall blink until the end of days.
                                             -- The Book of Mozilla 12:10