[cvsnt-dev] Better error message in case the CVS user does not have access to the temp folder.

Jurko Gospodnetić mangled at to.avoid.spam
Mon May 14 17:36:26 BST 2007

   Hi.

   We just found out that we misconfigured one of our local CVSNT server
and since error messages from the client/server were not of much help
just thought we would post more information on the problem. Perhaps
someone can improve the related error handling in CVSNT or the post can
at least serve as a hint to anyone with similar problems.

   When we set up the server and ported our repository into it we
started getting a server side error message 'cvs server: cannot open
directory . for empty check: No such file or directory' when we did an
update using the -P (prune empty folders) option.

   The cause was that we left our temporary CVSNT folder incorrectly set
to 'C:\Windows\Temp' where our CVS user did not have proper access
privileges.

   We finally traced down the problem using the sysinternals
process/file monitor on the server but it was way harder then it needed
to be. I guess a better error message would be useful here.

   Hope this helps someone...

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić