[cvsnt-dev] patches for script_trigger.cpp and server.h

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Apr 29 21:31:58 BST 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> I realize that if we design an idiot proof product only idiots will want to
> use it, but we still need to give some thought to whether implementing some
> feature sends the wrong message eg: when we implemented parsable lists of
> protocol properties some people thought that we wanted CVSROOT to adopt a
> new syntax and started building CVSROOTs like
> :protocol:hostname=host;password=passwd:/repo which was never our intention
> (quite the opposite in fact), but we do some accept responsibility for the
> misunderstanding since we did implment that feature and did not clearly
> specify what it was for.

Originally it was intended that frontends (Mostly Wincvs at that time)
could use it for rapid generation of cvsroot strings for random
protocols (the keywords match the lists in the 'cvs info' output)..
unfortunately the unintended consequence of that was that ended up in
the CVS/Root file which caused problems for non-cvsnt based frontends...
  I quickly realized that it was better to recommend that the CVSROOT be
as standard as was possible.. so someone doing a simple pserver checkout
wouldn't end up with something incompatible with eg. eclipse.