[cvsnt-dev] missing newline at end of CVS/Entries

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Apr 27 06:25:23 BST 2009

Hi Jens,

> while trying Xcode's cvs integration, I found that in some situations,  I
> may end up with a CVS/Entries file that is missing the newline  character
> after the last line.

What version of Xcode?

Under what 'situations' does this occur?

Have you reported this to Apple?

> When this happens, cvsnt doesn't seem  to parse the last entry (the stock
> cvs neither, btw). A "csvnt  update ." on the source directory will
> complain that the last file  listed in the Entries file "is in the way"...

Yes this is correct - it's clearly a bug in Xcode.  CVS and CVSNT don't have
a centralised 'read the entries file' function (EVS is better at this), so
accommodating this in CVS/CVSNT would not be as simple as one may imagine.

> I'd suggest to be a little smarter about missing trailing newline
> character in the CVS/Entries - it shouldn't hurt to allow an Entries  file
> w/o terminating newline character and it would help to avoid this
> confusing situation for the user...

I'll wait till I hear which version and if Apple are likely to fix it
themselves first...

Regards,

Arhur Barrett