[Cvsnt] Another timestamp issue

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Dec 12 19:54:16 GMT 2001

Interestingly we found a problem with timestamping going the other
waythan what has been discussed here before.
What happened was that one developer having a module checked out and
updated decided to serach-and-replace an identifier across the whole
module (several dozen files). He used some kind of strange editor to
do this that preserved the timestamp of the file! So now he had a
bunch of changed but white files that could not be commited in to CVS!
The only way we could find to fix this was to force a commit of all
his files changed or not using the command line cvs (WinCvs can't do
this).
The problem was discovered when another developer tried to build the
project and failed because of the identifier problem.

Just goes to show that timestamps can break things in may ways...