[Cvsnt] Repository file lockup problem

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Dec 18 14:43:34 GMT 2001

I have for the second time gotten the same kind of problem and I
wonder if anyone else has seen it/can advice what is causing it?

System:
CVS-NT 1.10.8 runnin on a W2K server with repository files and CVSNT
executables all on the D: partition. D: has no shares on it except D$,
which is only accessible by me.
CVSWeb is running on IIS5 from the C: drive.
Clients are using WinCvs1.2 from mainly W2K Pro machines (one or two
NT4 machines still remain).

Problem:
Developer checks out a module, then makes some changes, compiles and
tries to commit. Commit never finishes in WinCvs so WinCvs must be
terminated with TaskManager. If the commit is done without including
the exe file all is well.

Analysis:
So all files except the exe are committable just fine, but when the
exe is committed there is a temp file created in the repository:
,filename.exe, and it apparently contains the new version ready to be
renamed to filename.exe,v after the old file is deleted.
But the old file cannot be deleted! Even from the console when logged
in as admin is it possible...

TaskManager shows two processes with image file cvs.exe. None of these
can be stopped either, permission denied. I guess that one or the
other of these processes are holding the file locked?
The user for these cvs processes is SYSTEM
(BTW: I have now seen TaskManager in W2K Server and it does indeed
allow switching on a User column..)

Stopping/starting the cvs service does not help.
Restarting the server does help...

Questions:
- What can be done to fix this except restarting the server?
- Is this a known issue that might have been solved in 1.11.1.2?
- Does it only affect binary files? Both times for me were bin files.