[Cvsnt] general questions

John Hall John.Hall at optionexist.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 09:47:14 BST 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:15:30 -0700 (PDT) Adam Shand
<adam at personaltelco.net> wrote:

>  - i'd like to standardize on a CVSROOT hostname and path.  in the
>  future i see this allowing us to migrate to different servers without
>  having to worry about coordinating all the developers checking
>  everything in before the move.  unfortunatey cvsnt's usage of drive
>  letters breaks this.  i thought i might be able to use a windows
>  shortcut like a unix symlink but that doesn't seem to work.  is there
>  anyway to be able to make a CVSROOT of something like
>  ":pserver:adam at cvsserver:/cvsroot" to work regardless of where
>  /cvsroot is on the actual server?

Are you using NT or 2000? If you're using 2000 you can probably do what
you want. A drive can be mounted at mount point on another NTFS
partition with the disk administrator (so a drive could be mounted as
c:\cvsroot). In the W2K resource kit there is a program called linkd
which actually creates symbolic links between directories which could
mean that you could mount z:\some\path at c:\cvsroot.

I'm not sure, but perhaps /cvsroot would then be interpreted as
c:\cvsroot and /cvsroot could be anywhere you want.

Cheers,
John Hall