[Cvsnt] Kerberos: gserver and SSPI

Francis Irving francis.irving at creaturelabs.com
Fri Apr 12 11:02:45 BST 2002

Thanks for the detailed reply Brian.  I do have a few more questions
still.

- SSPI first tries to use Kerberos, otherwise it uses NTLM.  Am I
right that this is Windows doing this?  If later on Microsoft add some
other security protocols, it would automatically use those, if the
SSPI API does?

- Is there a user-level term for "SSPI"?  That seems to be more than
API that you use to talk to Windows.  Just describing it as "Windows
authentication (:sspi:)" might be reasonable.

- How does SSPI relate to :ntserver:?  Which is more secure, is
ntserver being deprecated?

- Can SSPI connect to a Unix CVS server?  (With Samba?)

Thanks for all your help,

Francis (still getting his head round this to work out how to describe
them in the user interface ;)