[Cvsnt] issue regarding comments and tags

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Apr 18 11:52:44 BST 2002

I think that this 'problem' is a CVS issue rather than CVSNT.
Basically what you refer to as 'comment' is the log message that
you can enter on a commit to explain what was done. This
information is stored with the individual *changed* files
when you do the commit.
When you 'tag' a module then what you do is that you put a text
marker in *all* files in the module at the revision they are
currently in no matter if they have changed recently or not.
This tag is used so that you later can retrieve the same set of
files in the same revision level they had when the tag was put
there. Also the tags are stored in the individual files on the
server.

Now, what you ask for is a way to add both a comment and the tag at
the same time so that a descriptive text can be associated with the
tag and help out later when viewing the tag to decide which tag is
relevant for update. I don't think that such a feature exists in CVS
and if it is introduced in CVSNT chances are that the RCS files will
become non-compatible with the general CVS system.
Maybe Tony Hoyle can comment on this?
Anyway, until such time you will have to make your tags more descriptive
by themselves, like March_16_Devel_Beta5 or similar.

/Bo