[Cvsnt] Installing CVSNT and Connecting from Clients

Francis Irving francis.irving at creaturelabs.com
Fri Apr 19 14:30:23 BST 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:14:39 +0100, Paul Grenyer
<Paul.Grenyer at chorleys-communisis.co.uk> wrote:

>Right, I reinstalled CVSNT and netstat -a tells me that something is
>listening at port 2401. If I try and telnet locally or remotely I'm greeted
>with a blank DOS Prompt screen with a flashing cursor at the top. If I type
>something and press return, I get a message that the connection is lost.
>
>Then if I do netstart -a again, the port is no longer being listened to, it
>has a TIME_WAIT message instead. I'm completely confused.
>
>What should happen when I telnet?

When you telnet to port 2401 of a CVS server listening on pserver it,
then type some rubbish "aefa" it should say something like:

aefa
cvs [pserver aborted]: bad auth protocol start: aefa

Warning:  I've not tried this on CVSNT, but I suspect it will give a
similar message to core CVS.

Francis