[Cvsnt] Making Progress, not there yet (was Installing CVSNT and Connecti ng from Clients)

Anthony Williams anthwil at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Apr 19 15:16:23 BST 2002

"Paul Grenyer" <Paul.Grenyer at chorleys-communisis.co.uk> wrote in message
news:7A7AACCC920AD511BF510090273C27300123AAA1 at chorpcsrv001.localnet...
> > There must be a valid NT user on the target machine, which
> > CVS can use for
> > the login. By default, this user must have the same name as
> > the CVS user
> > name, however you can set up an alias. This is the third
> > entry in passwd,
> > which has the following format for each line:
> >
> > cvsuser:passwordhash:ntusername
>
> > If the passwordhash is empty, pserver accepts an empty
> > password (I believe).
>
> > Multiple cvs users can alias to the same NT user, and the NT
> > user can be a
> > Domain user (put Domain\domainusername instead of ntusername)

> Ah! I see. After a bit of fiddling I was able to log in. My passwd file
now
> looks like this:

> pg1:
> pg1:!Chorleys

> pg1 is my username and Chorleys our network domain. Notice that I haven't
> given myself a password. If I do the authentication stops working again.
Is
> this because I need to encrypt the password and paste it in? If so where
can
> I get pwgen.exe?

Set an empty password in the file, then use the cvs command "cvs passwd"
from the client to set the password. Indeed, once you have one user up and
running, add their cvs user name (on a line on its own) to the "admin" file
in CVSROOT on the server (which may not already exist), and then you can log
in as that user and use "cvs passwd" to add additional users.

> > BTW, you should set up a repository prefix to get rid of the
> > drive letter
> > from the repostiory root, to make it easier to move the
> > repository (and for
> > easier interoperability with non-Windows clients)

> I understand and agree with what you're saying, but how do I do it?

Open the Control Panel Applet, and select the "repositories" tab; check the
box at the top, and use the "..." browse button to the right of the empty
edit field to select the prefix.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Software Engineer, Nortel Networks Optical Components Ltd