[Cvsnt] Cvsnt case sensitive?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Wed Apr 24 21:29:02 BST 2002

Brian Smith wrote:

> The Java compiler's checks on file name case are designed to allow us to
> build platform-independent applications. For somebody new to Java, it
> surely seems strange that "foo.java" doesn't mean the same thing as
> "Foo.java" on Windows and Mac OS X, but the Javac compiler is just

I had a talk with the java people here and they assure me that javac is
not case sensitive, but that the resulting .class files are.  It would
only be a problem if you were storing the .class files under CVS and
somehow renaming them before commiting them in.

If this does happen the only way at the moment would be to physically
rename the file in the repository.  A 'cvs rename' wouldn't cure this -
the filenames are the same as far as NT is concerned so it wouldn't do
anything.

Probably the best way if it's a problem is to host on a case preserving
OS eg. Unix.  For 99.9% of applications you don't want case sensitivity
in cvs as it'll just confuse all the windows users.