[Cvsnt] Cvsnt case sensitive?

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Thu Apr 25 15:39:07 BST 2002

> You can't be serious! What IDE uses makefile?

Thomas, *you* can't be serious - every proper IDE or compiler or any
development tool in general dealing with files must provide and/or maintain
the list of files to work with. If the development tool doesn't provide such
a mechanism then that tool is severely broken and practically useless,
leading to a whole lots of troubles as it picks up the garbage and temporary
or backup files etc.

>If they are present, they will be compiled.

Yup, very short-sighted approach indeed (to put it politely). I've seen
reports that java compiler would pick up the backup copies made by "cvs
edit" command, even thought they end up in a totally different
sub-directory. If that is true, if compiler will even hunt the files down
the subfolders, then it's totally insane I would say...

> Don't tell me, we should through away our IDE because of a limitation in
CVS
> and don't start a flame war on what's the best IDE (or editor).

You should trash the IDE that doesn't know about it's files because of the
limitation of the IDE itself. It might be that CVS exposes the limitation so
it becames more troublesome, but make no mistake about it - it's not the CVS
limitation that causes you the problems. It's the development tool that is
apparently missing a basic and elementary feature it needs to have to be at
least considered complete, let alone the "best"...

Best Regards,
Jerzy