[Cvsnt] (maybe not so) newbie question

Ivancic, Nikolaj nivancic at lumicyte.com
Tue Apr 30 19:03:19 BST 2002

Hello, all

I did a relatively thorough job scanning the archives (I did not find
any searching tools), and failed to find a definitive answer to
something that should be on the first page of the most basic document.

Here is the problem: given two machines on a LAN (SERVER and CLIENT),
what are the steps necessary to establish the connection between the
two. In order to avoid any conditional answers, I will restrict this
situation further, stating that both machines run Windows 2000 (server
and workstation editions) and that both use domain server for Windows
authentication.

So far I followed the instructions written in the document
http://www.cvsnt.org/readme.nt and failed completely. Assuming that
amongst you there will be a good soul to bail me out, I will indicate
here what went wrong:

1. On the SERVER machine, I did what the instruction tell me:

1. Installation of the CVS server

If you are using the precompiled version installation is simple - just
click on the
cvsnt_1.11.1.3.exe installation program.

To setup the server use the cvsnt control panel to install the service,
then add the
locations of your repositories.

    Note that the installation failed in that it required to me add the
path Environment variable
    to the CVS installation manually.

2. On the CLIENT machine, I simply used the CVS.EXE from the above
distribution

If you are using an NT or Windows 2000 client, use is preferable to
use the cvs.exe supplied, as this is full version which supports all
features of the NT server.

3. To verify authentication, I concluded that the best thing to do is to
use the SSPI mode so:
    a) On the SERVER machine, I set the repository path (C:\CVS_ROOT) as
instructed by 1. above.
    b) on the CLIENT machine, I set the Environment variable CVSROOT to

        CVSROOT=:sspi:lumicyte\nivancic at SERVER:c:\CVS_ROOT\CVSROOT

    c) any CVS command executed on the CLIENT, like:

        c:\>cvs history
        cvs [history aborted]: : Authentication failed

Any suggestions? Use pserver? Use ntserver? Why if yes?

Thanks in advance

Nik