[cvsnt] Manually renaming files

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Aug 6 16:39:03 BST 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:16:01 +0100, "Gavin Kinsey"
<gavin.kinsey at accutest.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a rare opportunity tommorrow to access the machine the cvsnt is
>running on and am going to use the opportunity to upgrade to the latest
>version.
>
>I would also like to fix some of the wrongly named (mainly ones with spaces
>in) and positioned files.  I know the only way to do this while retaining
>revision histories is manual edits, my question is.  Is it as simple as
>moving/renaming the files in the repository or do any files need to be
>altered (something like Entries files)?
>
>--
>Gavin Kinsey

You have to be a bit careful with this....
First of all, think again!
It might be better to retire the entire module as a backup and instead
export the head revision to a sandbox (export means that the CVS
subdirs do not get created). Then cvs import this state after making
the naming adjustments to a new module that is going to be the one you
continue to work on. This way you can go back to the old module if
need be and check out a working tagged copy.
All this can be done from the client side too)

Bu, if you are still going to rename modules (=directories) or files
within modules you have to be sure that *noone* has any files checked
out when you do this.
So you must tell everybody to commit all of their edits and abandon
their sandboxes totally.
Then you can edit the directory and file names in the repository after
which the developers have to check out their working copies again to
fresh sandboxes.
While you do the renaming you must of course shuit down the CVSNT
service so noone can come in while you work...

This covers one aspect of the job, but you may well see that the final
result is not that great after all. It all depends on the structure of
your files. If like me you are storing multifile software projects
chances are that project files and makefiles will break when you do
this, files mentioned in them are no longer available and if you check
out old revisions on tags the source can no longer be built
successfully.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)