[Cvsnt] Binding CVSNT to multiple (but not all) IP addresses in a machine

John D. Gwinner jgwinner at dazsi.com
Tue Aug 13 00:30:25 BST 2002

Actually, I'm not sure that's true.  I was thinking of installing CVS on a
software firewall, and in this case I would want the firewall acting on port
2401 on the external LAN card, and CVSNT acting on the internal NIC.

It's obviously better to have 2 machines, but a standard technique is to run
your 'server' on the internal NIC, then create a mapping in the firewall
software from it's external IP / port to the internal address ("Server
publishing").  That way, the firewall can detect port scans and can log
connection attempts.  If CVSNT starts before the packet filter, the packet
filter can't grab the port -and if you start the packet filter first, it's
possible CVSNT might get confused (I'm not sure, I'd have to try this).

This may decide where I can put my production CVSNT, I can't have this
'fight' going on.

        == John ==

news:3d22f726.96402937 at news.cvsnt.org...