[cvsnt] Adding a Pserver password to a machine in the domain

Kevin Jones kevinj at develop.com
Mon Aug 19 13:44:25 BST 2002

After finally getting 1.11.1.3 to work (as I understand it now, if I'm
using pserver, the pserver user MUST be aliased to a real user?) on my
laptop, I'm having real difficulty to get pserver to work on a machine
in the domain.

I have a W2K box in a domain.
I have cvsnt running as a service.
I'm logged into the domain as a local admin on the PC but I'm not a
domain admin.

CVSROOT is set to :netserver:dmweb1.develop.com:/terra
The cvs repository root is set to d:/cvsrepo and /terra is a valid
repository

I'm then running

cvs passwd -a -r dm\kevinj kjones

And I get
Adding User kjones at dmweb1.develop.com
New Password:
Verify Password:
Cvs server: error 0 Invalid username- cannot specify domain as machine
is not a domain member
Cvs [server aborted]: User 'dm\kevinj' is not a real user on the system

The machine is definitely on the domain
dm\kevinj is definitely a valid domain login (and so is a user on the
system)

If I try this
cvs passwd -a -r dm\kevinj -D dm kjones
I get
Adding User kjones at dmweb1.develop.com
Cvs server: error 0 Invalid username- cannot specify domain as machine
is not a domain member
Cvs [server aborted]: User 'dm\kevinj' is not a real user on the system
{Notice it doesn't ask for a password)

One other thing. I don't have physical access to the server I am using
Terminal Services to get to the machine.

I've tried variations on the cvs passwd command.
I've set SystemAuth=yes and SystemAuth=No to config

Kevin Jones
Developmentor
www.develop.com