[cvsnt] cvstemp

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Wed Aug 21 02:40:26 BST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:50:42 +0100, Kevin Jones wrote:

> OK, I've fixed this.
>
> In the admin tool, if I turn off impersonation it works fine. I assume
> that CVS is now running as SYSTEM whereas before it was trying to
> impersonate whoever was logging in.
>
> Is this good or bad?

It depends on your environment.  Any scripts (loginfo, commitinfo, etc.)
are now running as System which is a very powerful user - potentially a
bug in such a script could result in someone gaining administrator
priviliges.  It's not such a problem in a closed environment as generally
you trust anyone who has access to the server, but I wouldn't let a server
sit on the internet with such a configuration.