[cvsnt] Re: CVS can't see file in archive

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Wed Aug 21 21:22:58 BST 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Bob Kline wrote:

> We're running cvsnt on Windows 2000 (about a half-dozen developers
> on a single project).  We switched over from RCS a little under a
> year ago, and we've mostly not had any problems we can't figure out.
> Yesterday we ran into a problem which we haven't seen before and
> which has us baffled.  One of the developers has a sandbox for one
> of the directories in the repository, and one of the files in that
> directory is named CdrPublish.cpp.  The CVS repository has that file
> in it. If any of us invokes cvs checkout for that directory to
> create a new sandbox that file is included.  But this developer's
> sandbox does not know about the file: the CVS/Entries file does not
> list the file.
> [...]
> The CVS client can't find the "missing" file whether it uses the
> pserver protocol to get to the archives through a server, or uses
> -d:local: to interact directly with the local filesystem.  If I
> remove the copy of the file from the working directory the client
> still doesn't recognize that the repository has this file, which it
> needs to add to the sandbox.

I'm responding to my own post.  I downloaded the source code, built a
debugging version of the client, and fired up the debugger to track down
exactly what was going on.  It turns out that if the file
CVS/Entries.Static is present, cvs won't bother to pull down files from
the repository which aren't already in CVS/Entries.  Not sure how the
Entries.Static file got there in the first place, but at least I now
know how to eliminate the behaviour we ran into.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline at rksystems.com
http://www.rksystems.com