[cvsnt] Re: Using CVSNT with repository on SAMBA drive

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Aug 27 21:14:43 BST 2002

This is a FAQ....
The resolution is:
Keep the repository on the *same* server as is running the CVSNT
service! CVSNT relies on operating system mechanisms for locking etc
that only reliably work on *local* drives.
There is no real reason not to have the repository on the NT machine
running CVSNT, but there are tons of things that can go bad if the
repository resides across the network.

On the same note:
It is also not recommended to keep the checked out copy (sandbox) on a
samba drive. It should also be on a local drive on the developer's
workstation.
Worst of all is having the sandbox on a samba shared drive on a Linux
machine and accessing the same sandbox from several computers
(Windows, Linux, Mac). Do this and watch your files catch the bitrot
illness...

/Bo

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:55:12 -0700, "David McAvoy"
<David.McAvoy at PerComm.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I use CVS NT with repository on SAMBDA drive, however naming conversion
>causes issues with ,Makefile, etc. RCS file locks when CVS NT server tries
>delete them from repository.
>
>I've set up the service to use an account that has access to the repository
>drive,
>and checkout and edit work fine.  It's just the ,Makefile, etc files that
>have an issue.
>Apparently the CVS server doesn't use them, but it appears to at least
>attempt to
>delete them :>
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions regarding an smb.conf file that might allow
>the
>samba server to work with files of this type?
>
>Thanks,
>  David McAvoy,
>  PerComm Inc.

/Bo