[cvsnt] Using CVSNT with repository on SAMBA drive

David McAvoy David.McAvoy at PerComm.com
Tue Aug 27 23:55:33 BST 2002

Hi (Tony, Bo),

Thanks for the info... By the way, how do you manage backing up files on
distributed
PC's?  That's why having the repository and its working copies on a file
server is
desirable in this case.

Also, I discovered that other applications such as emacs have no problem
deleting files
called ",Makefile," etc. from the Samba drive, so it appears that Samba is
not
necessarily the problem in this case, although with my limited resources I
can only test on
Samba shares and regular Windows 2K shares (which work).  Also, if one uses
a file
name such as ",Makefile," in the PC shell one must use quotes to escape it,
otherwise it
is rejected as an invalid file name.

Please don't take my comment above as indicating that I don't
understand/value
your comments about file locking and such.  I appreciate your comments on
the
matter and will move the repository to the service machine.  However, this
will probably
cause a lot of backup issues!

I did read your previous comments regarding this issue and unfortunately I
thought you
were referring to the instance in which "exec", style of access was used to
obtain access
to a repository shared to the users computer.  I didn't realize that you
were referring
to the NT service accessed through the "sspi" or other mechanism.  I suppose
this means
that the service is serving CVS commands from users in a multi-threaded
manner?

By the way Tony, did you notice you are sending three replies to everything?

Thanks for the help everyone,
  David.

news:3D6BDEDD.8010404 at nothing-on.tv...