[cvsnt] Linux/Win32 client's and Win2k server

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Fri Aug 30 19:44:32 BST 2002

> 1) CRLF/LF. Can VC++ handle LF (I tried, but it died on the DSP's) so I'm
>    thinking that the code can be, but not the DSP's (possibly import those
>    as binary??). It would be easier to have all source in one format - LF,
>    so GCC doesn't die.

Where I work, we use Linux on the server side and a mixture of Win32 (mainly) and Linux on the client side.
There are no problem with text files (e.g. .cpp) as long as they are stored as text. CVS will automatically check out with LF on Unix and CRLF on Windows.

I recommend to store .dsp and .dsw as binary, also to prevent CVS from attempting to merge them.

> 2) Filenames. If I import a file, say, "Monkey.cpp" if I then update on a
>    file called "monkey.cpp" will they be considered different files or the
>    same?

If you do this on Windows, it will work as expected. On Linux, those names of course refer to two different files. CVSNT handles this issue completely transparently in my experience.

-Torsten