[cvsnt] cvs ls error

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Sat Aug 31 13:56:05 BST 2002

(Continued from another thread that has disappeared upwards in my
list...)

Tony,
I have now installed the Platform SDK and decided to check the strange
ls error again.
First from WinCvs:
-----------------------------------
cvs ls
(here it hangs indefinitely, this is probably a WinCvs bug, see below,
so I had to click the stop button.)

*****CVS stopped on user request !!! *****

Listing modules on server

cvs [server aborted]: cannot stat directory D:/CVSTEMP/CVSLOCKS/g a
module that consists of many directories
# spread out over the entire source repository.
: Bad address

Then this is from a session in a command window (no hang, returns
quickly):
C:\Documents and Settings\bob>set
CVSROOT=:sspi:bosse at 3rappl01:d:/cvs/cm

C:\Documents and Settings\bob>cvs login
Logging in to :sspi:bosse at 3rappl01:2401d:/cvs/cm
CVS password: ********

C:\Documents and Settings\bob>cvs ls
Listing modules on server

cvs [server aborted]: cannot stat directory D:/CVSTEMP/CVSLOCKS/g a
module that consists of many directories
# spread out over the entire source repository.
: Bad address

Something is definitely happening on the server. Are there any
specials concerning a W2K server that is a member of a domain as
opposed to one that is in a workgroup so that this could be a
permissions issue?
On the other hand why should it work OK when I issue the command from
my old laptop?

It should be possible to find the output of the error message above in
the source and find what triggers it, right? Unfortunately I cannot do
it myself since I don't understand this C++ gibberish :-(

I finally tried to add the -t switch to see more:

C:\Documents and Settings\bob>cvs -t ls -l
 -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sspi:bosse at 3rappl01:d:/cvs/cm
S-> do_module (., Listing, , )
Listing modules on server

cvs [server aborted]: cannot stat directory D:/CVSTEMP/CVSLOCKS/g a
module that consists of many directories
# spread out over the entire source repository.
: Bad address

Bo Berglund