[cvsnt] Re: Latest updates

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Thu Dec 5 14:56:36 GMT 2002

> >Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Oops I forgot to tag it.

For what it's worth, let me share the way WinCvs is released - maybe
similiar build process can help to avoid surprises in the future ;)

The main goal is to make sure all the steps are performed and nothing get's
forgotten along the way, and the distibuted files get tested before letting
then into the wild. To achieve that it's important to "burn the bridges" as
the process is performed, so there is no way to start it or continue from
any point in the middle. It has to go all the way from the start to the end,
no quick-fixes allowed ;)

In detail:

1. Tag the files for release.
2. Make cvs export using the tag above mentioned.
3. Zip the exported source files for release and copy into separate folder,
remove the exported folder.
4. Un-zip source files to another directory for the build.
5. Mark the version release (WINCVS_OFFICIAL_DISTRIBUTION is defined) in the
build files.
6. Compile.
7. Build Doxygen source code documentation.
8. Build install package.
9. Zip and copy the doxygen output to another directory, remove the
original.
10. Zip and copy install package to another directory, remove the original.
11. Unzip the doxygen package and test it.
12. Unzip the install package, install WinCvs and make few quick tests.
(Quick is not a good word -> takes few days to one week actually, including
the separate install on my office PC just to make sure it works there as
well).
13. If no problems detected - release and wait for the "angry customers" to
express their feelings in the bug tracker ;)

As you can see, if there is no tag, you can't do export. If there are files
missing, or there are some other build errors - you got to fix it in the
original tree, add or move the release tag and repeat whe whole procedure
again. That may sound painfull, but it's the only way to be sure the things
don't get forgotten. You build from the same files that go into the final
release, you test the very same install package that gets released etc. It
HAS to be right!

Best Regards,
Jerzy