[cvsnt] Permission denied when tagging but not when committing...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Dec 5 20:27:17 GMT 2002

Tony,
I have found a very strange behaviour with CVSNT. It goes like this:
I have a test module with a couple of files, which I use to test
loginfo and taginfo scripting.
The scripted program is set up to spawn a new copy of itself on the
first call in a cvs operation. The new copy goes immediately to sleep
for 20s or so. Meanwhile the original program collects data and saves
to a temp location. Then if there are more directories to process
another call is done to my program, this time it does not spawn a copy
because it detects that this has already been done. It just collects
the data from this module, and so on. These all exit cleanly.
Finally the dormant copy wakes up, collects all the data and sends the
email.

Now the problem:
When I do this in loginfo all goes well and the command finishes with
result 0.
But when doing the same from taginfo I see this result (lines
wrapped):

cvs server: Tagging .
cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file
F:/CVSREPO/bosse/ModuleXX/NewCommon/,Common.txt, to
F:/CVSREPO/bosse/ModuleXX/NewCommon/Common.txt,v: Permission denied

If the tagging is done like this I am always seeing this permission
denied problem. I thought at first I had screwed up my PC so I
rebooted it just in case, but no change. This must have something to
do with the way I run stuff.
Can you shed some enlightenment on why this happens?
Is it caused by the spawned process from the first invocation of my
program? If so how????

I am running this:
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Daily Snapshot
Build 57j) (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Daily Snapshot
Build 57j) (client/server)

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)