[cvsnt] [update aborted]: cannot rename file over and over

Paul St. John pstjohn at visible-bytes.com
Fri Dec 6 23:31:58 GMT 2002

After getting past the large binary file issue, we began to also
see issues with requiring multiple updates.  After reading
Torsten's message I had my remote user turn Norton off.
Guess what.  Yep, things ran much better.

This is not the first time I've experienced problems with using
an app when Norton was running (there was a version of Norton
that interacted badly with VC++ and external calls to
an app during the build process caused VC++ to hang).  That was
over 2 years ago.

Now, I'm not sure whose fault that was (or this issue is), and I'm
no expert on how virus protection s/w works (I know some of the
concepts, but not the ins and outs).  However, it would seem to
me that they are playing in a field that might be more prone to
these sorts of issues (system wide, low-level type stuff)

The *vast* majority of the time Norton causes no problem, and as
a software developer that has seldom, if ever, written a perfect
application myself, I'm a little hesitant to start throwing stones.

For a piece of software that is running *all* the time, keeps itself
updated and protects me from all sorts of untold evils, I think 2
issues in over 2 years is something I can live with.

I'm very happy with Norton, will continue to use it and will, on the
occasions I think they've slipped up, contact their tech support.

$0.02 (and that's Cdn funds!)
-psj.