[Cvsnt] cvsnt access & setup error

Bo Berglund bosse at agiusa.com
Tue Feb 12 23:26:10 GMT 2002

Not so easy finding your comments in line...

Repository Prefix
------------------
This is a feature that probably exists in later builds of CVS-NT than you
have.
I think that you should download the latest beta version of CVS-NT to find
it.
It is in the middle tab of the control panel applet (the green fish).

Temp dir
----------
Can be set in the control panel applet, but you need one of the later
releases.
Also, the temp dir that exists in c:\winnt is very limited by the operating
system.
In reality only system has access to that directory. I don't think that
changing
the environment variables will break anything else as long as you make the
new
temp dir accessible to everybody.

passwd file
-------------
For security reasons this file is not part of the file set that gets
automatically
rebuilt on commits in CVSROOT or is checked out with CVSROOT. You must
definitely
manage this file completely by hand, no automation here at all. But it is
also
needed by CVSNT in later builds since that is the general behaviuor for CVS
on other
platforms too.
The file is located inside the directory CVSROOT that exists in all valid
repositories.
THis directory is created automatically when a repository is initialized.
You have to put the file passwd by hand into this directory in the
repository.
THe passwd file is very simple, a text file of course. If you use ntserver
protocol
exclusively it can look like this:
charles
john
lisa
It is simply a list of the NT users that will have access to the CVSNT
system.
If you are using the pserver protocol the file is a bit more complex:
charles:azSN7tEetQpPQ
john:HflhR3erU7oJ2
lisa:xG1UvO12t4N7s
Here the encrypted CVS passwords for these users have been added. Note that
the
passwords are only for CVS so they can be anything, should not match the
real
domain passwords because they are sent across the network with only weak
encryption.
You create the encrypted versions of them using the pwgen program that is
part of the
CVSNT distribution.
The passwd file can contain another item too:
charles:azSN7tEetQpPQ:paul
john:HflhR3erU7oJ2:paul
lisa:xG1UvO12t4N7s:mary

The extra name at the end is an alias, when this is in place then CVSNT will
use this
account for the person logging in. THis means that charles and john will be
using the
account paul and lisa will me mary when working in CVS. These new names must
exist
as valid system users. But when you use aliases then the login user need
only exist in
CVSNT.

/Bo