[Cvsnt] CVSNT server for NT and WinCVS 1.3B6 clients

Joel Lemon JLemon at point-inc.com
Tue Feb 5 19:56:57 GMT 2002

Hi;

I am setting up CVS server for NT 1.11.1.2 on a Windows NT 4.0 Server for
the first time, and I am testing this using WinCvs Version 1.3B6 clients.

I am the system administrator for our company so I am testing for
functionality right now and the best setup for our situation.

A couple of questions have come up for me.

1. In Step 1b in the CVS Server for NT instructions says;

    Installation of the cvsnt inside the WinCVS application folder (WinCvs
1.3 and higher only)

            The NT server is supported by WinCVS 1.3b3 or better.
            *copy the cvsnt cvs.exe into WinCvs\cvsnt.exe

My Question: should this be copy to cvs.exe? here and not to cvsnt.exe?
My Question: Are we supposed to copy the cvs.exe file from the server
install to the client install directory here?

             copy the cvsnt cvs95.exe into WinCvs\cvs95.exe

In the preference dialog select 'cvsnt/95 (cvsnt server)'

My Question: Where do I select this? In the preferences dialog of the
client?
I don't see it there.

2. Given that most of my client machines will be Windows NT 4.0 WS, Windows
2000, or Windows XP Pro, but may include a couple of Windows 95 or Windows
98 SE should I stick with PSERVER or should I use NTSERVER authentication?

3. I have created group that maps the V: drive to \\cvs-svr1\cvs
<file://\\cvs-svr1\cvs>  on the server where I have both the CVSNT install
on the server and the
repository v:\cvsroot. Is this workable?

I read where NamedPipeImpersonation doesnt' work over shares. I don't
understand this. If I don't use shares and mapped drives what other
alternatives are there for using CVS on a server?

4. I will have users that are local to the NT domain (Windows NT 4.0), but I
also will need to allow users on another NT domain in Canada to access this
server through our VPN. How can I make this happen?

Thanks,

Joel