[Cvsnt] cvs [commit aborted]: cannot rename file

Mårten Cederholm marten.cederholm at avionics.saab.se
Mon Feb 11 16:22:27 GMT 2002

*** Sorry to repeat a question already being asked several times, but I have
searched a lot in the archives and not really found a solution! ***

Does anyone know how to solve this error that may imply some kind of
permission problem:
"cvs [commit aborted]: cannot rename file c:\cvsntroot/NewModule/,New2.c, to
c:\cvsntroot/NewModule/New2.c,v: File exists"

This happens normally the second time I commit a change on a new file.
Sometimes it helps to shut down the cvsnt service for a while and then start
it, or rebooting, or just wait for a long time. But I haven't pin-pointed
exactly which of these actions that actually resolves the problem... But I'm
sure that all client users have access to the C:\cvsntroot directory and the
C:\Temp directory.

* The host/network configuration:
Clients          WinCVS 1.2, on several W2K hosts
Server          CVSNT 1.11.1.2, also on a W2K host
Network          Entirely Microsoft, TCP/IP
Access type     ntserver (the WinCVS clients use
CVSROOT=":ntserver:SERVER_MACHINE:C:\cvsntroot")

* Environment Variables on the server machine:
CVSROOT          :local:c:\cvsntroot
HOME          C:\

Thanks...

Marten