[Cvsnt] Windows NT 4.0 Server Platform versus Windows 2000 Server Platfor m for latest CVS Server for NT

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu Feb 14 21:10:54 GMT 2002

Joel Lemon wrote:

> And I quote "Windows 2000 is stable enough to be a CVS server. I am not
> aware of any CVSNT user that has a valid complaint about the operating
> system. Windows NT is another matter and should be avoided at all costs."
>
> Do you gentlemen agree or disagree?

I develop on Win2K, and test on NT4.  Not much difference, really...
cvsnt doesn't stress the OS enough for it to be an issue.

> 2). I have to agree with a recent post that selecting between Ntserver
> authentication and Pserver authentication is confusing. Then we add in the
> idea of having clients across the VPN. It sounds like Ntserver would be the
> way for us to go, but I'm not sure yet.

sspi is a good choice - it also supports encryption so you can use it
across the internet.  I'd pick sspi over ntserver, myself. The only
caveat is that WinCVS doesn't support it yet (although it shouldn't be
too hard to add it).

> Ntserver would be best for us since we have one domain locally and we could
> restrict those that access it to Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows NT 4.0
> Workstation.

ntserver is fine in this situation.

> What does 'sspi' an acronym for?

Security Support Provider Interface