[Cvsnt] Is CVSNT up-to-date with the CVS mainline?

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Sun Feb 17 20:55:28 GMT 2002

I would like to see TortoiseCVS include the CVSNT client instead of the
regular CVS client. Before, TortoiseCVS didn't use an external CVS
client (it used some DLL), but the DLL they were using is out-of-date
and so they changed TortoiseCVS to use a "stock" cvs.exe. However, the
"stock" cvs.exe doesn't include NTSERVER support. So, installations
using TortoiseCVS+CVSNT (such as mine) have to do extra client-side work
to integrate these two programs. If TortoiseCVS included the CVSNT
client, things would be much simpler for installations using NTSERVER
mode with TortoiseCVS.

Torsten (from the TortoiseCVS group) said that he would be willing to do
bundle the CVSNT version but he was concerned because CVSNT seemed to be
missing two key patches that are in CVS 1.11.1p1 (see below).

I know that in many ways CVSNT is "ahead" of the original CVS port, but
are there any areas in which it is behind? If CVSNT is missing the
patches from CVS 1.11.1.p1, would it be possible for them to be
integrated? Or are they somehow unnecessary? Are there any (licensing)
issues with bundling just the CVSNT client (without the server-specific
stuff)?

Thanks,
Brian

- In tortoisecvs at y..., Brian Smith <brian-l-smith at u...> wrote:

 > Why don't you guys just use the CVSNT client? Tony Hoyle has done a
 > nice job with it. It definitely would be a lot better for
 > installations like mine that want to use TortoiseCVS + CVSNT with
 > NTSERVER mode (because we only would have to deploy and maintain one
 > client-side distribution instead of two). The CVSNT client is fully
 > compatible with unix-based repositories.

I have nothing against using the CVSNT client, but we would have to
make sure that the patches (transferring password in environment, fix
for nonexisting .cvspass) that are in the cvs.exe now used by
Tortoise are included.

I went to cvsnt.org, and it looks as though the current version
(which is BETA 8a) is not based on the most recent stock CVS
distribution (1.11.1p1), but rather plain 1.11.1.