[Cvsnt] Setup Question

aw_asdf.spam at me.not.yahoo.com aw_asdf.spam at me.not.yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 00:53:23 GMT 2002

Dieter Bogdoll <srhizogcfzsc at spammotel.com> wrote:

> I want to achieve that some peoples can see the complete project with all
> sub-projects
> and other people sees only one or more sub-projects.

There are several ways of doing this.  Probably the easiest
is the following:

o Create a directory for each sub-project.
    subproject_1
    subproject_2
  etc.  Import these into CVS.
o Create a directory for the top-level project, but do not
  place the subprojects into it.  Import this into CVS.

  At this point, you will have the following in your CVS
  top-level directory:
      CVSROOT
      main_project
      subproject_1
      subproject_2

o In the modules file (use "cvs checkout CVSROOT" to get an
  editable copy, modify it and then use "cvs commit" to get
  the changes read) you can then place a line like the
  following:
    BigProject main_project &subproject_1 &subproject_2

If you then check out "BigProject"
    cvs checkout BigProject
you will get the contents of main_project (the main project
directory) placed in a project called "BigProject".  In this
directory (BigProject) there will be two subdirectories
called supbroject_1 and subproject_2.  Changes etc are managed
on a per-directory basis, so you don't have to worry about
"conflicts".  Both sub-projects are real entities in the CVS
repo, so you can check them out independently.

Note that if a user checks out "main_project" directly (i.e.;
the directory, not the module), then they will _NOT_ get the
subprojects as well.

Regards,
Andrew.