[Cvsnt] FW: TortoiseCVS and CVSNT

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Tue Feb 19 02:11:23 GMT 2002

Tony,

Did you write the CVSGUI glue code for CVSNT, or did the CVSGUI people?
Do you know if it is documented somewhere?

Torsten,

I believe that the glue code is used by WinCVS. On Windows NT/2000,
WinCVS uses a pipe to communicate with CVSNT. Searc for CVSGUI_PIPE in
the source code for CVSNT. On Windows 95/98, WinCVS seems to use the
environment variable you mentioned; that code is in the "CVSGUI"
subdirectory of the CVSNT main directory and it gets built into the
cvs95.exe executable. I would recommend conferring with the WinCVS
people to see how they interface with CVSNT.

Thanks,
Brian

 > Please explain what you mean by "transferring password in
 > environment". That sounds not very secure to me, but I'm not sure what
 > it is. What does it do? Why do you need it? Is it because you are
 > using a spawned process rather than a DLL?

 >> Standard CVS has no mechanism for entering the password other than
 >> reading it directly (using getch()). As this does not work for
 >> TortoiseCVS, an environment variable is set before launching the CVS
 >> process. I think the security risk is limited because the environment
 >> is destroyed once TortoiseAct exits.

 >> When looking at the CVSNT changes, I noticed that it seemed to
 >> contain the same 'glue' code that WinCVS uses for communicating with
 >> CVS. Anyone who knows if this stuff is documented somewhere?

-Torsten