[Cvsnt] Permissions for changing files in module

Mudama, Eric eric_mudama at maxtor.com
Thu Feb 21 18:53:35 GMT 2002

One thing that you can do for basic security is SSH tunneling.  It requires
that every user have a shell account on the machine with the CVS archive,
but it works rather well in practice and should be very secure.  Note that
to my knowledge it only works on linux (due to a lack of an SSHD on NT) but
the principles apply.

1. Setup your server to only have 1 world accessable port ... 22 for sshd.
All other ports are blocked using hosts.deny in /etc.  CVS is setup for
pserver communications, but this is blocked from access from the network.

2. Users who want to access CVS log into the server using SSH, with the SSH
port tunneling feature enabled.  Local port 2401 is mapped to remote port
2401.

3. Run CVS on the local machine, attempting to connect to a cvs server on
the local machine:   cvs -d ":pserver:username at localhost" login

4. Now you should be connected to a local port which is tunneled through to
the backend system, and all communications will be encrypted with the
algorithm of your choice.  (DES, 3DES, Blowfish, AES, etc)

This isn't the most transparent way to access a server securely, but it does
let you use native CVS features in a secure manner.  Hope nobody minds the
spam on a CVSNT list, but some of you may find it useful.  CPU utilization
for the stream encryption is similar to a -z 1 argument to CVS.  Also note
that on very fast networks with fast clients, you will need to enable
encryption to "slow down" the server, otherwise the SSH tunnel in most
clients runs out of FIFO space and you'll get end-of-file errors.  This I
have seen with both Putty and TTERM, two free terminal programs that support
SSH.

eric