[Cvsnt] does a repository work on network drive? (to be continued...)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Mon Feb 25 09:27:27 GMT 2002

Peter.Prokesch at wetzer.endress.com wrote:
> I have the same problem as "alkee" had with the network drive: I have the cvsnt
> server running on one machine (which is not file-tape-backuped), and I need to use a
> network drive for my repositories. I am not able to bring the cvs-service on this
> file server machine (our sys-admin contradicts), but I could arrange to get an
> additional user as Bo wrote that CVSNT works as a different user (SYSTEM).

The problem is more than authentication (although the loss of NT based
of access control on the repository is quite a problem).  There's the
issue of things like network bandwidth - you're more than doubling the
network usage of running a cvs server, and more importantly locking.
File locking over network shares isn't atomic, so it's possible for two
processes to both think they've locked the file & try to modify the same
part of the repository at the same time, risking corruption.

It is possible to work like this (I've run test servers with a couple of
users) but I wouldn't recommend it for more than one or two users at a
time - if your needs scale beyond that you really need to run the cvs
server on the same machine as the repository.