[Cvsnt] gserver impersonation

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Mon Feb 25 12:47:28 GMT 2002

Tony,

  My changes are also currently working on my linux box without any
problems.I have modified the gserver code so that it can authenticate
using Windows 2000 active directory. By the end of the week I suppose my
modified version will not have any dependencies on MIT Kerberos at all.
My changes make CVSNT kerberos support transparent and automatic (no
manual kerberos setup) for the case when CVSNT is running under the
LocalSystem account.

I made my changes directly to the gssapi_mit code because the
gssapi_win32 code was too different for me to get working with quickly
and it didn't work with my linux client. I'm not sure of a couple things
though:

(1) when is the disconnect function supposed to be called (e.g.
gserver_disconnect)? It doesn't seem like it is ever getting called.

(2) The current gserver code doesn't define an impersonation function.
That makes me a little uncertain about how impersonation works for
gserver. Can one use NTFS impersonation with the gssapi_mit code? In my
Windows 2000-ized version I should easily be able to do impersonation so
that filesystem permissions will work.

(3) I am interested in integrating my changes into the main CVSNT
distribution. Would you be interested in doing this? I know you want the
gserver code to work on NT 4.0 too so there would have to be some way to
choose between a "Windows 2000 AD" mode and a "MIT Kerberos" mode at
setup time. But, I don't know how you would want to map the DLL's to the
protocol names when there would be two different DLL's for the same
protocol.

Thanks,
Brian