[Cvsnt] RE: Problems with checkout -d

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Wed Feb 27 19:27:53 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:07:25 +0000 (UTC), "OMALLEY, JOHN C (SBCSI)"
<jo2847 at sbc.com> wrote:

>For the record, I was able to (sort of) figure out this problem.  It
>probably had little to do with the -d option.  Apparently, any branch based
>upon a certain tag in my repository (v8000) will have problems if its tag
>name is more than four characters.  With other tags (v8002, e.g.), there
>doesn't seem to be a problem, so I can only assume that there is some
>corruption in the RCS files.  I created a branch with a 3-character tag name
>and the problem disappeared.

That's really strange.  Unless there's something special about the tag
name that's fooling CVS I've no idea how that could happpen.

Tags are just lines in the RCS file (which is mostly plain text - you
should be able to read it in a text editor).  How one tag could be
treated differently is anybody's guess.  I'll have to see if anybody
else has had anything like this, as there may be an obscure bug
lurking.