[Cvsnt] Running CVSNT-Service as User

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu Feb 28 14:53:33 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:31:39 +0000 (UTC), Jo.Kilian at gmx.de wrote:

>Is this true?
>I just had a look at my repository and all the files are owned by the local
>administrator-group of the CVSNT server .... (even if the CVSNT service runs
>under another user than administrator ...). I found no file which owns
>someone else ...

That's an NT 'feature'.  If a user who is a member of the
administrators group creates a file it is always owned by
'administrator'.

So if you're doing the checkin as yourself and you are an
administrator the repository will be owned by administrator.

You need an inheritable ACL on the repository which always allows
read/write to a particular group, then assign the CVS users to that
group.  The default NT permissions allow this anyway (since they allow
'full control' to 'everyone').

Alternatively you could switch off impersonation which makes every
file accessed/owned by the service user (not a good idea when the
service is running as LocalSystem for security reasons, but probably
reasonable if the server is non-privileged).