[Cvsnt] NTServer protocol and localhost

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu Feb 28 15:02:47 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:17:33 +0000 (UTC), "Anthony Williams"
<anthwil at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to get the ntserver protocol working with localhost, or
>local-machine-name, especially when not connected to a network?

ntserver uses netbios names (because it connects over named pipes via
SMB).  local machine name works as long as you use the netbios name
not the TCP/IP name.
On NT4 there's a setting 'use DNS for netbios lookup' (IIRC) which
might work.  AFAIK Win2k does not support this option.

I couldn't get it to work with localhost though because netbios
doesn't think 'localhost' is anything special (it has no concept of
loopback) - it broadcasts for the name & every machine responds so you
get the 'A duplicate name exists on the network' error.

You could try putting 'localhost' in your
\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts and see if that works.