[Cvsnt] tags, bug ?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jan 30 18:40:54 GMT 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:29:39 +0000 (UTC), "ggo" <ggo98 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm evaluating CVSNT, in order to get rid of VSS. I'm encountering a
>problem:
>I put a tag (TAG1) on a module, then I keep on working in my files, commit
>everything.
>Then I check out my module as it was at TAG1, then I modify a file
>(undoc.TXT) , and when I commit it , here's what happens:
>
>*****CVS exited normally with code 0*****
>
>cvs commit -m "no message" undoc.TXT (in directory C:\DEVggo\)
>cvs [commit aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
>any)
>
>*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****
>
>May be I have missed something, because if you do the same using branches,
>it works fine.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Olivier

This is quite normal...
Putting a tag on a file is just that, telling CVS that this revision
belongs to a tagged set. It does not move you anywhere at all.
Then after you do a few commits the tag will be a few revision back in
history. Example:
rev 1.6 tag TAG1A
rev 1.7
rev 1.8
rev 1.9
Now update to TAG1A
In the working file set you have a file with a sticky tag TAG1A.
It is still on the main branch (TRUNK). If you edit this file and want
to commit it, CVS has nowhere to put it! The revision of teh file is
1.6 so the edited file should become 1.7, but that is already in use!
And CVS cannot put the new commit as revision 1.10 either, because it
is not decending from 1.9. So you get an error message....

If you want to work on an earlier file and commit then you must put it
as a branch. Update to the tag, then create the branch off this
revision, then update to the branch and then edit/comit/edit/commit.

When you are done you can merge the branch back to the TRUNK. It will
then become the new head after merging with the head of the trunk.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)